More and more as I learn about this new faith that I have embraced I see so many things that I have not left behind as I leave the Mormon faith ( The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). Really there are many similarities.
Here are some:
- I still believe in prophets, just no longer in a current one, or in Joesph Smith. I follow the teaching of one who lived long ago, and brought us the Quran. His name is Mohammed(PBUH).
- I believe still in revealed scripture, but my Book of Mormon has been replaced with my Quran.
- I still follow dietary rules. But instead of the Word of Wisdom (no tea, coffee, alcohol, drugs, smoking) I eat halal(slaughtered properly), stay away from pork, and don’t drink alcohol or smoke.
- I still believe family is very important as believe that women and men have defined roles in life.
- I still believe all people have the right to choose religion. We are not about compulsion.
- I still follow time entrenched rituals. But my temple attendance and garment have been replaced with my prayer mat and praying 5 times a day.
- I still dress modestly. In fact now I cover more. Before I was covering the signs of my faith ( the garment). Now I cover me. I wear my hijab and long clothes knowing that I am doing what is right.
- I still believe that when it comes to the bible that not all of it is correct.
- I still give. My tithe has been replaced with Zakat.
- I still pray. Now I pray more and enjoy the direct connection to the Creator and Father of All. \
I have been learning much as I embrace this new faith of mine, doing so in iolation of being a country girl has its challenges but Allah has been aiding me each step of the way. I am learning that in Mormonism I was given a foundation that would later help me embrace this faith of mine. Was Mormonism wrong? For me, yes, for others it is there faith and just like the one I live today they live and act on thier faith hour by hour, day by day.